Haygain HG 2000 Hay Steamer is designed to feed 4+ horses*
(*The number of horses the HG 2000 feeds is an approximate guide only based on portion size, compaction of hay, size of bale and number of steam cycles per day.)
The HG 2000 can accommodate a fully strung bale or 35-40kgs of haylage, haynets or loose hay. The HG 2000 is ideal for larger stable yards, the robust and thermally insulated steam chest allows temperatures to reach over 100°C- vital for killing mould spores and bacteria in the hay.
Its cycle time from cold is 60 minutes, making the process quick and easy.
The 2.75kW steam generator (with a water capacity of 8 litres) features a stainless steel boiler shell with a domed lid for optimum steam flow and consistent delivery, a robust heating element and offers safety thermal protection with a “run dry” alarm and warning light. The balanced integrated handle allows for easy rinsing of the unit while the location of the filler spout, with its brass safety release filler cap, prevents overfilling.
- Weight: 75kg (hay container and steam generator combined weight)
- Dimensions: L x 1449mm D x 815mm H x 750mm
- Feeds 4+ horses*
- Holds up to 35-40kg of loose hay/haylage or a fully strung bale
- Includes wheels for easy transportation
- Steaming cycle from cold approximately 60 minutes, 2.75kW steam generator
- 8 litre capacity with safety features
- Watering Can
- Drip Tray
- 2 Descaler sachets
- Filling Funnel
So why use a hay steamer?
Steaming hay is the only scientifically proven way to purify hay and reduce health threat from respirable dust, mould spores and pathogens.
Hay steaming offers benefits for your horse, for yourself and the environment.
A recent study found 88% of the horses examined suffered from Inflammatory Airway Disease (IAD). One of the major caused of IAD is respirable dust and a major source of this is hay. IAD can limit an athletic horses’ performance.
Haygain steamers are the only scientifically proven method to dramatically reduce respirable dust in hay and kill mould, fungal spores and bacteria that can cause IAD. The study mentioned above found that steaming with a Haygain hay steamer reduced the risk of your horse developing IAD by 65%. You can read the research here.
Studies highlight the need to review horse care activities and implement dust-reducing stable management regimes to reduce the incidence of respiratory disorders in people working with horses. 25% of people working with horses have a diagnosed respiratory condition such as asthma, not to mention all the hay-fever sufferers. Steamed hay effectively reduces these incidences.
(Source: Gosling K (2014) The Prevalence of Human Respiratory Disorders in UK Equine Industry Personal BSc Thesis, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK)
Steaming hay drastically reduces water consumption compared to soaking hay which typically uses 50 – 250 litres. The sheer volume of water used has an impact not just on water bills, but also on the environment.
Post-soak water is contaminated with bacteria, mould, WSC, Proteins and minerals which leach out of the hay, making it an environment pollutant which must not be disposed of in storms drains. Haygain steeamers only use about 4.5 litres of water per cycle and produce no environmental pollutants.
(Source: Warr EM, Petch JL (1992) Effects of Soaking Hay on its Nutritional Quality. Eq.Vet.Edu. 5:169–171.)
An epidemiologival study found respiratory problems in racehorses to be the second highest reason for lost training days. A dusty stable environment can have financial implications not just in lost training days but vet bills.
(Source: Rossdale PD et al. K (1985) Epidemiological Study of Wastage Among Racehorses, Vet Rec, 116:66-69.)
Why choose Haygain Hay Steamers?
- Patented spike manifold system – a unique perforated spike system distributes the steam evenly from within, ensuring total and effective steam absorption.
- High Performance Steam Generator – 1.5 kW best-in-class steam generators designed to purify up to 90lbs of hay, suitable for 4 horses (HG 2000 model)
- Purpose Built Thermally Insulated Steam Chest – double skinned insulated chest to maintain critically high temperatures required, even in freezing temperatures
- Eliminates 99% of mould, fungi, yeast and bacteria – scientifically proven to reduce airway inflammation, and without any loss of nutritional value and palatability of the hay
Haygain is a science driven company with the horse’s health as the primary focus. Committed to improving equine health through research and innovation in respiratory and digestive health issues. Developed by riders, for riders who understand the importance of clean forage and a healthy stable environment.
Product Demo Video: