Summer is in full swing and for some of us it’s just what the doctor ordered. But for our horses it can be a distressing time of year. Itchy horses are the most common skin complaint our customers have and look to us for advice.
There is no ‘cure’ for sweet itch but then every itchy horse doesn’t necessarily have sweet itch. There are many irritants present in the horse’s environment (such as allergies) and sadly some of which we just can’t control fully – try as we might (such as parasites).
Trauma from scratching can leave our horses with patches of damaged, inflamed skin. The itch-scratch cycle is difficult to break and involves identifying and then removing the trigger. By easing the itching, ideally removing altogether, this will allow the skin to begin the healing process.
Botanica’s range of natural herbal creams are used to treat common skin conditions. Visiting their website, you will see case studies Botanica have conducted and feedback they’ve received on their products.
Their products contain a combination of Aloe Vera (antihistamine properties), Tea Tree Oil (insect repellent), Comfrey (anti-inflammatory properties) and Oil of Lavender.
Amongst other products, the range includes an Anti-Itch cream and a cleansing wash. Used together they offer treatment for itchy skin. The wash is a natural antiseptic designed to clean, sterilise and soothe the skin and the Anti-itch cream soothes and moisturises the skin whilst providing natural insect repellent properties.
Instructions for using Botanica Cleansing Wash and Anti-Itch cream:
3 WEEKS APPLICATION – ONE YEARS PROTECTION
- Dilute Botanica Cleansing Wash (4 capfuls per litre of warm water). This can be made stronger for more extreme cases.
- Clean the affected area thoroughly, removing dry and dead skin.
- Leave the Botanica Cleansing Wash to soak into the skin for three to five minutes as the wash itself has many beneficial properties.
DO NOT RINSE THE CLEANSING WASH OFF
- Apply the Botanica Anti-Itch cream to the affected area massaging well in. Repeat again after five minutes.
- The animal should receive this application once per day, for the first five days. (ALWAYS use the wash first and then apply the cream)
- In the second week, the Botanica Anti-Itch Care is applied every second day.
- Repeat the application again for one week in mid to late July as August is a critical month for Sweet-Itch.
- There should be no need for any rugs or covers as the Anti-Itch Cream and Cleansing Wash are natural insect deterrents.
Note: If the animal is already itching, the Botanica products will give instant relief and stop any itching immediately.
Cleansing wash 300ml RRP £10.95
Anti-Itch Cream 550ml RRP £42.95
The Animal Therapy Hub are offering the cleansing wash and anti-itch cream as a pack for the special price of £40 +P&P (SAVING you over £13 on the RRP).
To order your pack please contact us or follow the link here: https://theanimaltherapyhub.com/product/botanica-itchy-skin-pack-from-the-animal-therapy-hub/